© 2019 IRINA KURTISHVILI

COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUE / IN MEMORY OF THE DESTROYED GERMAN PROTESTANT-LUTHERAN CHURCH

Marjanishvili Square / Tbilisi (opened 06.09.2013)

EN

The Protestant-Lutheran City Church of Tbilisi was built in 1897 with the money donated by the German community of Tbilisi. The church stood in the location of today´s Marjanishvili square. It was built by the Tbilisi based German architects Leopold Bielfeld and Otto Jacob Simonson. The church was festively inaugurated on the 30th of May 1897. Subsequently the church developed to be the centre of the local German community. In 1946, after the Second World War, Protestant-Lutheran Church was disassembled on the order of the Tbilisi Soviet administration. The work was done by the German prisoners of war. Today the historical picture of the building can be seen only on few remaining photographs. The Protestant-Lutheran community of Tbilisi placed up a commemorative plaque at this point.

DE

Die Evangelisch-Lutherische Stadtkirche in Tbilissi wurde 1897 mit dem gespendeten Geld von der deutschen Gemeinde erbaut und stand dort, wo sich heute der Marjanishvili Platz befindet. Die von den Architekten Leopold Bielfeld und Otto Jacob Simonson erbaute deutsche Kirche wurde am 30. Mai, 1897 festlich eingeweiht. Die Kirche entwickelte sich zum Zentrum des Deutschen Viertels in Tbilissi. Um ein Exempel zu statuieren, wurde die Evangelisch-Lutherische Kirche 1946 nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg, auf Befehl der sowjetischen Machthaber durch die deutschen Kriegsgefangenen abgetragen. Das historische Bild von dem Bauwerk ist heute nur auf wenigen Fotografien zu sehen. Die Evangelisch-Lutherische Kirchengemeinde in Tbilissi stellte 6. September 2013 an dieser Stelle eine Gedenktafel auf.

Commemorative plaque in memory of the destroyed German Protestant-Lutheran Church (1897 – 1946) / Marjanishvili Square, Tbilisi

Location / site plan

The plaque is made from the finest handpicked stones selected from quarries in the south of Georgia, Bolnisi / two basalt stones, each 80 x 110 x 6 cm / right stone: image of church

Synthesis of modern Georgian typeface, Avaza Mtavruli, with the Spectro Gothic typeface for the German text: HIER STAND 1897 – 1946 VON DEUTSCHSTÄMMIGEN TIFLISER BÜRGERN GEBAUTE EVANGELISCH-LUTHERISCHE STADTKIRCHE.

Left stone / 80 x 110 x 6 cm / engraving techniques / Georgian and German inscriptions: HERE STOOD 1897 – 1946 GERMAN PROTESTANT-LUTHERAN CITY CHURCH BUILT BY THE TBILISI CITIZENS OF GERMAN ORIGIN

EVANGELISCH-LUTHERISCHE KIRCHE IN GEORGIEN

German Protestant-Lutheran Church of Tbilisi 
Terenti-Graneli-Str. 15
0102 Tbilisi